The Public Safety Coordinating Council was created per Florida Statutes to assess the population status of all detention or correctional facilities owned or contracted by the County, or the county consortium and formulating recommendations to ensure that the capacities of such facilities are not exceeded. Such recommendations shall include an assessment of the availability of pretrial intervention or probation programs, work-release programs, substance abuse programs, gain-time schedules, applicable bail bond schedules, and confinement status of the inmates housed within each facility.
Florida Statutes 951.26.
The Public Safety Coordinating Council shall consist of the following:
- The state attorney, or an assistant state attorney designated by the state attorney.
- The public defender, or an assistant public defender designated by the public defender.
- The chief circuit judge, or another circuit judge designated by the chief circuit judge.
- The chief county judge, or another county judge designated by the chief county judge.
- The chief correctional officer.
- The sheriff, or a member designated by the sheriff, if the sheriff is not the chief correctional officer.
- The state probation circuit administrator, or a member designated by the state probation circuit administrator, to be appointed to a 4-year term.
- The chairperson of the board of county commissioners, or another county commissioner as designee.
- If the county has such program available, the director of any county probation or pretrial intervention program, to be appointed to a 4-year term.
- The director of a local substance abuse treatment program, or a member designated by the director, to be appointed to a 4-year term.
- Representatives from county and state jobs programs and other community groups who work with offenders and victims, appointed by the chairperson of the board of county commissioners to 4-year terms.
Membership terms are based on position, unless defined in the statute. Statute defined term are four-year terms.
Meetings at the call of the chairperson.
CONTACT / STAFF LIAISON: