What is illegal dumping?
Illegal dumping is disposal of waste in an unpermitted area. Illegally dumped wastes are primarily materials that are dumped to avoid either disposal fees or the time and effort required for proper disposal. These materials typically include:
- Construction and demolition waste such as drywall, roofing shingles, lumber, bricks, concrete and siding.
- Abandoned automobiles, auto parts and scrap tires.
- Appliances or “white goods”
- Yard Waste
- Household Trash
- Medical Waste
Highlands County's Illegal Dumping Program
In 2015 the Highlands County Board of County Commissioners and the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office formed the Environmental Law Enforcement Program to combat illegal waste disposal in private and public areas of Highlands County. There are several strategies to enhance the illegal dumping program to reduce and eliminate Highlands County’s Illegal dumping problem. Some of the key points of the program are:
- The funding of an Environmental Crimes Deputy dedicated to the investigation of illegal dumping cases that carries severe penalties ranging from fines, confiscation of vehicles and other equipment used for illegal dumping and possible jail time.
- The purchase of game cameras for continuous surveillance.
- The initiation of a Tire Buyback Program.
- Waiving of tipping fees for residential property cleaned up by the owner (with proper documentation).
- Waiving of tire tipping fees for residential customers (up to 20” tire size).
- Crime Stoppers 1-800-226-TIPS (1-800-226-8477)
- To report a site or learn more about the program contact the Highlands County Landfill at (863) 402-7786.
- If the crime is in process report to the Highlands County Sheriff's Office at (863) 402-7200 so the Environmental Deputy can be notified immediately.
- Identify the exact location of the illegal dumpsite including the closest major cross street.
- Describe what is at the dumpsite and include a picture, if possible.
- Try to identify the person, company and/or vehicle that did the illegal dumping.
Do NOT dig through the site or confront people dumping.