Highlands County participates in the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program through cooperation with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. The NPDES program is a Statewide program that is intended to protect waterways from a myriad of potential pollutants. The role of the County in the program is to engage in several key activities. These involve:
- Public Education & Outreach,
- Encourage Public Involvement and Participation,
- Engage in Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination,
- Establish minimum controls for Construction site stormwater control and,
- Engage in Best Management Practices to eliminate and avoid pollution associated with Municipal Operations.
If you would like to know more about the program, please visit the FDEP website at the following address: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/stormwater/npdes/
If you observe activities in your neighborhood or the community that you are concerned might pollute downstream lakes, streams, or other waterways, please contact the Highlands County Engineering Department at (863) 402-6877 and report the occurrence as a potential NPDES Stormwater violation.