Some things to consider when creating your plan are:
Know your Risk
What hazards and disasters are you at risk of experiencing?
Are you in a flood zone?
Do you live in a mobile or manufactured home?
What year was your house built?
Does your house have storm shutters or other mitigation readily available?
- Shelter at home, if it is safe to do so.
- Shelter outside the area, with and friend, relative or at a hotel.
- If you have no other safe place to go, evacuate to a public shelter.
- Add a few pieces to your supply kit each week so that creating your kit does not create a financial burden.
- Check your kit often and rotate out items that have expiration dates to keep items fresh.
- Be sure your family members know who to call or where to gather if you become separated.
- Let family and friends know your evacuation plans and communicate once you arrive safely to your destination.